July 1, 2013

Gear Review: Eberlestock "Just One" J34 Pack

If there is anything I've learned over the years hunting it's simply that your comfort while hunting should never be a secondary consideration.  I've always been very analytical of my successes and failures in the field - and what factors either supported or detracted from my efforts.  I look at every aspect - everything from my gear, mental toughness and focus to physical conditioning.  It's amazing how much effect gear has - not only on physical capabilities, but also morale & confidence.  That being said - I've never had a backpack I felt directly contributed to my efforts.  For years I've known I wanted a better solution than what I had, I just didn't realize what I had been missing.  Enter the Eberlestock "Just One" J34 Backpack.  





First I want to make a very thorough disclaimer:  I am in no way reimbursed/incentivized by, affiliated with, or given anything from Eberlestock.  I write this review as an unbiased and meticulous consumer.  After literally months of reading other reviews, multiple visits to several different retailers, and questioning several prevalent sportsmen in the hunting industry about their preferences, I decided on the Just One pack.  At $329, it's priced towards the upper end of most hunting packs - but in my opinion, is well worth its cost.

The first thing I noted about this pack upon its arrival is the sheer number of adjustments that can be made to ensure a proper fit.  I had the distinct pleasure of spending some one on one time recently with Jason Hairston - founder of Sitka, and CEO/Founder of the new revelation in outdoor clothing & gear - Kuiu.  We spoke extensively about the role gear plays into the experience of a hunt, and the importance of having quality gear.  Later that day in a well prepared seminar at the Backcountry Hunters & Anglers annual Rendezvous in Boise, Jason stressed over and over again the importance of a well adjusted pack and the damage that can be done without a proper fit.  In fact - Jason bears scars on his obliques from an ill fitted pack on a very long backcountry elk pack out.  This is an area where the Just One shines right out of the gate.  It has no fewer than 7 different methods of adjustment - just to ensure it's fitting on your torso correctly.  It may seem daunting to have that kind of adjustability, especially knowing how important it is to find that sweet spot - but they have a fantastic video on their website that made getting it right easy.  I spent about 30 minutes getting my pack adjusted properly the night before a 5 day mountain turkey hunt (I swear, we have those in Idaho), and once it was done I didn't need to make any changes the rest of my hunt.  Rest assured, when weight is added to the pack (I recommend adding 40 lbs when adjusting it the first time) it's obvious when you hit that sweet spot.  The load magically disappears from any one spot on your body and feels perfectly distributed.

The second thing I noted when getting my pack ready for the hunt was the sheer amount of storage capacity.  The question I had coming into this purchase was simple - can a backpack double as a day pack (light, comfortable, & functional) yet expand to be an effective freight hauler in the backcountry should the need arise?  ABSOLUTELY.  If you're like me, reading online that the Just One has a storage capacity of 4,600 cubic inches doesn't translate very effectively into real world applications.  That's a big number.  An elk is a big animal.  Will a whole quarter fit??  I say yes.  Easily.  When fully compressed, the main compartment is essentially inaccessible, which I thought I'd hate but ended up loving.  There are 5 exterior pockets that are fully accessible (with waterproof zippers I might add) with the pack fully compressed into its most compact configuration - and that doesn't include the hydration chamber.  I consider this configuration to be an outstanding day pack.  Those exterior pockets have more than enough capacity for any hunter without meat.  I was able to transfer the entirety of my previous backpack into only 2 pockets in the Just One pack.  Compression straps allow the load to be brought tight against the pack ensuring it isn't cumbersome or bulky - and even more importantly - prevents the pack from swinging side to side and being noisy.

Now the important part - expandability.  When gearing up for my turkey hunt I was hesitant to rely solely upon the Just One pack, simply because I had a turkey vest I am fond of.  I was unsure of the ability of the Just One to carry a turkey and what condition the feathers would be in upon arrival back at camp.  On the second day of the hunt, I found myself 2 miles and 3 drainages from the truck - looking down the barrel of my shotgun at an unsuspecting Merriam's.  I hesitated at the trigger - unsure if I really wanted to carry a turkey out that far, especially if it didn't fit in my pack.  With only one way to find out, I let him have it.  A moment later I was picking myself back up off the ground after unleashing 3.5 inches of absolute hell in a shell, I walked over to admire the turkey and figure out how this was going to work.

I unbuckled the straps and opened up the main pocket - and dropped the entire bird inside.  I even pulled the draw string closed at the top of the pocket.  The bird was fully contained in the main compartment, with the tail feathers safely running full length up the side of the pack, not folded in the bottom.  I couldn't believe the entire turkey fit so easily.  I would venture to guess two fully grown turkeys could fit inside - that's how much room there is in this incredible pack.  The exterior of the pocket is a highly durable and rugged mesh that allows air circulation without compromising strength, another major plus when packing out meat.

The Just One also comes with a rifle scabbard thats readily accessible while the pack is on your back, another impressive feature.  I had been carrying my trekking poles in the scabbard when stalking the birds, but they were easily accessed when the need arose while traversing large drainages and covering lots of ground.  After loading my turkey in the pack, I simply dropped my shotgun into the scabbard and shouldered the pack for the trek out, trekking poles in hand.  I couldn't believe how well the weight was distributed!  It was the farthest I've ever had to carry a turkey out, and over the roughest terrain - but I didn't notice in the least.  The freedom I had to put both my turkey and shotgun in my pack for the hike out was invaluable.  That alone sold me on the pack.  The weight was distributed extremely evenly from my shoulders to my hips, and it rode close enough to my back that it never felt awkward or big despite its 40 pound total weight.




Over the course of my 5 day hunt, I really ran this pack through it's paces - and annoyed all my hunting partners at camp every night talking about what I loved about it.  Every day I identified something else I loved about it.  By the end of the hunt, everyone in camp wanted one.  As I said at the beginning of this article, I never realized how much my pack could contribute to my ability to hunt.  I was consistently impressed by the modular nature and design of this pack.  The folks at Eberlestock really knocked it out of the park with this one.  Is this the ultimate hunting pack?  Possibly.  It certainly is the best pack under $500 in my opinion.  This much I know - if I'm ever caught 5 miles from camp in rough country and alone with an elk down, you can bet I'll have my Just One pack ready and waiting - with confidence.










Post Publication Notes

A month after my successful turkey hunt using the J34 pack I had the opportunity to put this pack to test again in more mountainous country for a spring bear bow hunt, which I will detail in an upcoming article.  Utilizing the ButtBucket bow carrier -  I was able to carry all my usual hunting gear in the exterior pockets (which stayed impressively dry throughout the entire spring season, enduring many a rain shower), my bow on the back of the pack, AND a 35 gallon bag full to the brim of our popcorn and gummy fruit bait.  The ability to carry EVERYTHING I needed to hunt and rebait a site on my way into the stand in 1 trip while remaining hands free raised my opinion of this pack to a whole new level.  I consider this to pack to be the premiere bear hunting pack.  What an incredible design!




5 comments:

  1. Awesome Review! I enjoy reading in depth reviews on quality products. I love my Eberlestock Pack as well.. Go in light come out Heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you build up on experience, you can substitute your beginner’s backpack with a more advanced one. If hunting isn’t something you do once in a while, but regularly, you definitely need to rely on a good sturdy backpack. See more http://survival-mastery.com/reviews/best-hunting-backpack.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great hunting backpack. It has a compact & lightweight design, well-ventilated meat pouch, highly visible interior, waterproof zippers, and sufficient storage capacity. I recommend this review to anyone planning to buy the Eberlestock J34. I also checked out the Badlands Sacrifice Backpack Polyester from the following post: http://wildernessmastery.com/hunting/best-hunting-backpack.html

    ReplyDelete