December 4, 2013

Gear Review: Cabela's Perfekt 10" Hunter Boots by Meindl

Finding the perfect boot for hunting is no small task. Luckily for us consumers, the marketplace is incredibly diverse and competitive, and with the ease by which reviews and customer ratings (such as this one) are found online - it would seem relatively easy to get yourself into a great pair of boots. I do not deny this. However, as a budget conscious hunter that can't afford a different pair of boots for every situation - I had one silver bullet to throw at new footwear. My requirements were simple: I needed a boot that provided adequate ankle & foot support for treacherous terrain while carrying heavy packs without compromising flat ground comfort, waterproof, durable, and most importantly - versatile. I wanted a boot that could be worn while hunting mulies in early September or elk in late November.  A tall order, no doubt.  Enter the subject of this article: the Cabela's "Perfekt 10" Hunter Boot by Meindl.



Here are the specs for the Perfekt 10" Hunter Boot as provided by the Cabelas website:

  • Ideal all-around big-game hunting boot
  • Cork molds to your foot for custom support
  • Multigrip rubber outsoles offer no-slip traction on loose terrain
  • 100% waterproof, breathable GORE-TEX membranes
  • 400-gram Thinsulate Ultra Insulation
  • 10" height
  • Leather Construction
  • Weight 4.4 lbs
I'll call out the two elephants in the room immediately - the weight, and the insulation. For an all-around hunting boot, I typically prefer an uninsulated boot because I find most of my hunting takes place in September and October when the temperatures are more mild. For the later months it's easy to add a layer of wool socks and get the warmth that I need. I was hesitant about the 400 grams of Thinsulate Insulation. With advancements in full length warm weather sock materials and the assurance of multiple salespeople that it wouldn't be an issue - I went for it. The other elephant is the weight of these boots.  Weighing in at 4.4 lbs, they're over half a pound heavier than other boots I was considering - such as the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme, the Cabela's Denali Hunting Boots by Meindl, or the Danner Ridgemaster Boots. The insulation is a big part of this, but weight is weight. 

After speaking with several trusted sources and pouring over review after review - I steered away from the Kenetrek boots for one simple reason: consumers either absolutely loved them or completely hated them. They were simply too polarizing to throw over $400 at compared to the other two options in the $280 range.  I eliminated the Danner boots for several reasons - I simply couldn't find a Danner boot that fit my foot exactly the way I wanted it to, they weren't as robust and allowed to much torsional movement on the sole, and they didn't provide a heel locking lace like the Kenetrek & Meindl boots did (evidenced by a further back set lace studs located between the ankle and to of the foot which helps anchor the heel back in the heel pocket). While the Denali boots were more comfortable initially, they provided less ankle support and weren't as sturdy as the Perfekt boot, so I elected to buy the Perfekt 10's.

My boots arrived the first of April, so I had two full weeks to break them in prior to the first hunt of the year - my week long mountain turkey hunt.  This hunt takes place in some surprisingly rough terrain with timber choked steep canyons between rolling grassy knolls - a perfect proving ground for both my new Eberlestock backpack & my new boots.  Mid April in that part of the state, even with moderate elevations, can still be a cold proposition - deep snow and sub freezing temperatures are the norm, so it proved to be a good test of warmth as well.  For the maiden voyage into the mountains I paired them with Smartwool Hike Ultra Light socks.  Temperatures consistently hovered in the low 20's in the early morning hours (even dipping into the low teens on 2 of the days) and climbed into the mid 40's during the daytime.  Even with only a lightweight merino wool sock, my feet never got cold once despite many frigid mornings waiting for turkeys to fly the roost in the pre-dawn darkness.  They performed flawlessly.

After 5 long days and countless miles with sparse turkey action, this jake felt taking like the biggest tom in the woods.

The heel locking lace studs ensure there is absolutely NO heel movement, even when hiking up extremely steep grades that can wear your heel raw in no time with a lesser boot.  The cork footbeds did take about 7 days to break in around the house, but I don't mind the break in period when I know the end result is a well fitted and sturdy boot with outstanding torsional support.  The boots do come with an insole spacer, which I initially tossed aside after breaking the boots in for a couple weeks around the house, confident I had a good fit.  My first morning while climbing up and down steep canyons I noted a small amount of heel movement, and luckily I had brought the spacers with me.  After placing the spacer under the main insole I had a PERFECT (or should I say Perfekt?) fit for any terrain.

I have since run these boots through the ringer.  I have thrown every terrain imaginable with every weather condition - in the past 8 months I have logged 50 days and well over 200 miles in the field.  I spent 14 days in Spring bear season packing heavy loads of bait up steep and impenetrably thick undergrowth with temperatures at times soaring into 70's - and with the right sock (I found Under Armour Heat Gear Ignite socks to be best for warm temperatures) my feet didn't overheat 95% of the time. During a grueling 6 day elk hunt in late September I was in either knee high foliage sopping went from incessant rain or ankle deep in snow every step of the way and my feet NEVER got wet or cold - and there's definitely something to be said about the confidence of substantial ankle support provided by these boots when throwing an 80 pound elk quarter on your back to hike out.  On a recent high country archery mule deer hunt when I found myself at 9,000 feet in elevation during late November glassing atop a windswept mountain pass - even after punching throw the ice on a frozen stream and sinking into water ankle deep - I never got cold or wet.  I have found these boots provide outstanding versatility in almost every element, the key is pairing the boot with the right sock for the elements.

On uneven terrain and shale rock they provided enough torsional support to allow me to confidently traverse hillsides that normally would have been far more worrisome for fear of rolling an ankle.  The soles are so rigid that they're uncomfortable on flat ground either, allowing enough flex to make it easy to forget you're wearing a mountain boot.  As I mentioned earlier, I put these to the test as well while packing out 2 large bull elk across steep and unpredictable terrain.  With an elk quarter strapped to your pack, these hikes out can be a minefield - one small misstep can lead to a broken ankle or worse, depending on the terrain.  This is where the rubber really meets the road, and these boots shined.

Mule deer hunting with a bow is one of the most frustrating things on the planet.  This tremendous buck strode
right down my tracks from earlier that day as I watched from afar.  At least my feet weren't cold.

The only two vices I have found thus far with this boot are the weight and overheating in exceptionally warm conditions - both of which I am easily willing to live with given the benefits.  Could weight be saved by going with an uninsulated boot?  Yes, but typically only 6-8 ounces between both boots if you comparing to other 10" tall sturdy leather boots.  Could a synthetic uninsulated boot be better suited to higher temperatures in early season - and lighter as well?  Yes, but the bottom line is this: these are an outstanding choice for 90% of all hunting scenarios, and as for that 10%?  No other boot (I believe) is going to get you 100% for under $300 - and even in the ultra high end price ranges, I seriously doubt it.  You'll just ending up buying a second pair of boots for a different purpose.  All things considered, spending a few hundred bucks on a pair of boots can be a daunting thing - but it's the best money you'll spend to keep you in the field longer.  For my money, I don't see a better boot on the market.



9 comments:

  1. Very interesting blog entry. I think you two are "living the dream!"
    harvesting your food...respecting and appreciating where it comes from...making memories along the way...good for you!
    Best Crossbow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bird hunting is rapidly gaining popularity among hunters, likely due to the amount of variation it offers. Whether pursuing turkeys, ducks, grouse, quail, chukar or one of the hundreds of other types of game birds, this is a sport that has something for everyone. So you’re ready to give bird hunting a try and maximize the birds you bag, how do you ensure that at the end of the day you’re the one going home with the most birds? Follow these tips and techniques to bag some game bird. Visit for more

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really one of the best guides out there for hunting. I love how many pages you shared, it's great that you have such a huge passion for hunting whitetail deer! I'll use your guide to hunt for sure; hopefully I can actually get something this season!http://elitehuntsman.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is looking good. It is real posting and i will share with you. i have no problem with crossbows, but dont think they should be allowed during archery season. they are way easier than compounds. just my opinion. for more seehere Harold Weaver

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boots have always been a big part of the fashion scene but one that has taken the fashion world by storm is quite surprising considering the down to earth industrial look. The Hunter Wellengton boots especially the black hunter boots, are all the rage in the fashion world today. It looks like this trend is going to stick for a while.I find this website for Insulated Work Boots you can visit this site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! I’ll book mark this blog for future references. I’m glad I bump in to this blog. http://huntingpleasures.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was told of the Cabela’s hunter boots by a friend of mine. What I didn’t know is how effective they are, especially for big game hunting. I will be making a purchase very soon. Thanks for the review. See more resourceful hunting boots here: http://wildernessmastery.com/hunting/best-hunting-boots.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This info is well worth reading.
    Very in-depth indeed.
    Thumbs up!
    Good work must be appreciated.
    Looking for consistent updates from you.
    Well, they’ve also covered some more tips around this topic in their site!
    Click The Website To Learn More

    ReplyDelete